Dropbear 0.44 release

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Mon Jan 10 23:30:00 WST 2005

(forgot to cc to the list)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:06:25AM +0100, Claas Hilbrecht wrote:
> --Am Montag, 3. Januar 2005 23:13 +0800 Matt Johnston <matt at ucc.asn.au>
> schrieb:
>
> >I've packaged up Dropbear 0.44, which I've deemed to be a
> >stable release with client and server functionality.
>
> I've found three problems with the 0.44 release:
>
> a) Running scp with dbclient gives everytime the following messages:
>
> WARNING: Ignoring unknown argument '-x'
> WARNING: Ignoring unknown argument '-oForwardAgent no'
> WARNING: Ignoring unknown argument '-oClearAllForwardings yes'
>
> With the -v option and additional line with
>
> WARNING: Ignoring unknown argument '-v'
>
> is given. Nevertheless the scp will work so this is only a cosmetic thing.

*nod* I don't really want to ignore unknown arguments in the
general case, since that would make debugging more awkward.
I'll have a look at ignoring just scp's arguments or
something.

> b) Run a "scp <file> <host>" command to a host you never connected before.
> Now the following question is issued:
>
> Host '192.168.193.251' is not in the trusted hosts file.
> (fingerprint md5 c0:e0:89:a3:62:36:3b:16:86:13:2e:9b:11:f3:6b:71)
> Do you want to continue connecting? (y/n)
>
> Whatever I type I can't continue. Only a CTRL-C will work (or a kill from
> another terminal). Running the dbclient before the scp command and adding
> the host to the list of known hosts solves the problem.

Ah, I had forgotten that this was the issue, I was thinking
it was that password auth failed with scp - sorry. I'll look
at a patch for it.

> c) I can't connect to a host that is running OpenSSH 3.9.0pl1. Every login
> attempt is recorded as a password failure on the sshd server side. What is
> causing the password failure is not loggable, even with LogInfo DEBUG2 on
> the sshd server side. The only noticable thing is that the sshd server is
> patched with a "Dynamic Window patch" (see
> <http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/>). Other clients (putty,
> ssh from debian woody, sarge, aix) can connect to the host without problems.

Is "PasswordAuthentication" enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config?
I think in 3.8.something it was disabled by default in
debian at least - Dropbear doesn't currently support it. If
that's not the problem, the output of ssh -vvv would be
useful.