Nonexistent user, continued

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Oct 25 22:07:25 WST 2005

OK, I've checked everything I can think of; no joy.  I have /dev/pts...

I recompiled dropbear with debug, and it's failing in checkusername.

Looking at the source, ses.authstate.pw == NULL so the check fails.

Where is ses.authstate.pw loaded?  scanning the source code didn't make
anything jump out at me....

dropbear works fine on the same machine using full-blown debian
install.  It fails on my hand-built system, so most likely it's a
missing lib....  But dropbear doesn't complain at all about any missing
libs.  I am trying to build a minimal system, using only those things
that are needed.

The machine is a Mac LC475 (1993 vintage), running a 2.2.25 kernel, the
latest available for a m68k, with debian testing/unstable.  (And yes, I
did get rid of the problematic CPU and replaced it with a full-blown 68040.)

I tried running strace, but when dropbear forks to handle the
connection, the trace stops.  How do I get strace to trace the child?
strace -f -F dropbear -F -E -v didn't help.

Any suggestions at this point?

--Yan