dropbear client : No auth methods could be used

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Thu Jan 5 08:47:28 WST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:00:21PM +0100, dropbear at pivert.org wrote:
> Hi, I have a problem that I can't solve with dropbear.
>
> I have a workstation that I can log to from anywhere, except from my OpenWRT
> that has dropbear-client instead of OpenSSH.
> With dropbear, I can only ssh to localhost (dropbear-server).
>
> Using dropbear-client and password interactive.
>
> root at star:/etc# ssh 192.168.1.3
> ssh: connection to root at 192.168.1.3:22 exited: No auth methods could be used.
>
> What's my problem ?

Which version of dropbear? If it's 0.46, the problem is most
likely that the OpenSSH server doesn't allow plain
"password" authentication, only "keyboard-interactive".
0.47 supports keyboard-interactive authentication, however
I'm don't think 0.47 is in any OpenWRT releases yet. There
are probably standalone packages at tracker.openwrt.org.

Alternatively, you can enable plain password authentication
in the sshd_config file. I _think_ the option is
"PasswordAuthentication", though not 100% sure.