dropbear fails on uClinux ARM NOMMU target with gcc-3.4.5 but not gcc-2.95.3

Jamie Lokier jamie at shareable.org
Sat Jan 7 01:11:03 WST 2006

George McCollister wrote:
> As far as I can tell this is the best place to go for all of your 2.6.x
> ARM MMU less needs.
> They provide a 2.95.3 tool chain (this is the one I'm using. Its the
> only one I've found that actually compiles 2.6.x)

I have a 2.95.3 toolchain that came with an SDK, but it crashes when
compiling some programs like rsync, so I'm not using it for
everything.  I wonder if it's the _same_ 2.95.3 as yours?

I have a 3.4.3 toolchain called uclinux-tools-20050221 (and it doesn't
install in /root), is that one you've come across?

> With all of the old toolchains, most of which I can't find
> source/patches/configuration to reproduce I decided enough was enough.
> By building my own tool chain at least I'll begin to learn whats going
> on and have the freedom to try different combinations of binutils and
> gcc and different configuration parameters. Maybe at some point this
> could even help other people that are having similar issues.
>
> Unfortunately this plan isn't perfect as we can see by the fact that
> dropbear isn't working with my toolchain.
> </rant>

A bigger problem is that all these versions have custom GCC or
binutils patches, don't they?

I think your message would be a great start to a much-needed thrashing
it out on uclinux-dev.  How would you feel about taking this
conversation over there?  At very least, it would be good to have a
list of the available toolchains, instead of the very scattered
information that's about at the moment.

-- Jamie