public key auth problems

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Tue Jan 17 10:48:13 WST 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 12:38:45AM +0100, Axel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have dropbear 0.47 installed (OpenWRT). The key is type rsa with 2048
> bits. The client is MacOSX.
> My problem is: I can't get pubkey auth to work. There are no error
> messages concerning pubkey auth.
> Does someone have a hint for me what maybe wrong? Did I forget something
> obvious? Thanks.

> # ls -la /root/.ssh
> -rw-------    1 root     root          397 Jan 16 22:34 authorized_keys

What version of OpenWRT are you using? In whiterussian rc4,
Dropbear uses /etc/dropbear/authorized_keys for the keys.

For my openwrt install here (rc4), root's homedir is /tmp
not /root (specified in /etc/passwd).  If you're running rc3
or earlier perhaps try /tmp/.ssh/authorized_keys instead?
(note that /tmp is cleared on reboot, hence rc4 using /etc).