difficulty with public key auth for non-root users

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Fri Feb 17 18:53:07 WST 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 04:14:19PM -0500, Taylor Glenn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble getting public keys to work for users other
> than root. I'm running 0.47 on a gumstix (linux 2.6.11, uClibc-0.9.27).
>
> I take an authorized_keys file that works for root, copy it to the
> user's .ssh directory, chown and set the same relative permissions (700
> for ~, ~/.ssh, 600 for ~/.ssh/authorized_keys), and then try to log in
> as the user--only to get a password prompt.
>
> Is there something that I am missing (sorry I was a bit sparse on the
> details, let me know if you want more)? Can anyone else replicate this
> behavior?

I don't see anything obvious that would be wrong - have you
checked /var/log/auth.log (or similar) for any
warnings/errors from Dropbear? I assume that logging in as
the user with a password works fine? The only other common
issue is possibly line wrapping/formatting in the
authorized_keys file if it was copied/pasted. The homedir
for the user is set correctly in /etc/passwd?