Port tunnelling over ssh

David Cook dbc_dropbear at advan.ca
Thu Mar 9 23:05:51 WST 2006

I have used the following command to create a tunnel for rsync between
the OpenWRT box running dropbear and my server.
/usr/bin/ssh -i ${SSH_host_key} -p ${SSH_port} ${SSH_server} -l
${SSH_user} -L 873:${LAN_IP}:873 "keepalive ${Customer}" &

(I am running a small program "keepalive" on the server to poll the
device periodically so NAT tables don't go stale).

Even though I specify the lan address (192.168.1.1) the tunnel only
appears to work from the originating host by rsyncing to 127.0.0.1.
I want to have other devices on the lan rsync to 192.168.1.1 so that my
remote rsync server appears to be the gateway on the lan.

What am I doing wrong or is this even possible?

dbc.