Port Forwarding in background?

David George david at harktech.com
Thu Apr 6 11:45:10 WST 2006

Using dbclient 0.48.1 on the client attempting to forward a local port
to dropbear server 0.48.1 on another machine, how do I get the client to
go into the background?  I have read the messages in the list archives
re: port forwarding and tunnelling and didn't find anything that applies.

I am using dbclient -L 20001:localhost:10001 root at 10.100.1.101.  It does
work, but it actually logs into the remote server and I am presented
with a shell.  If I telnet localhost 20001 I am connected to the remote
server on port 10001, so it is working.  If I use OpenSSH on another
machine I can ssh -N -f -L 20001:localhost:10001 root at 10.100.1.101 and
it will go into the background and the port forwarding also works.

But I really need the dbclient port forwarding to run in the
background.  I did try putting it into background with &, but I can't
get the public key authentication to work.  I did a dropbearkey -t rsa
-f /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key -y on the server and copied the
public key part to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, but it still asks for
password.  I tried dbclient -i ~/.ssh/authorized_keys root at 10.100.1.101
and it returns dbclient: exited: string too long.

I also tried running the dropbear server with -a in case that was the
problem, but it wasn't.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

--
David