exit after auth (root): couldn't change user as non-root

Sebastian Haag Sebastian at 7labs.de
Tue May 16 21:34:15 WST 2006

Hi,

next problem:

I´m using pubkey auth which works fine. But after auth I get the following
message on the client: "exit after auth (root): couldn't  change user as
non-root".

dbclient and dropbear are startet by user "root". dropbear runs in an embedded
system, emulated by qemu. I testet the whole thing on 2 "real" machines
(running suse linux) and it worked. So I guess something´s wrong with my
rootfilesystem on the emulated embedded system. E.g. there is no command
'su'...

When and why does the prog try to change the user? And why isn´t that operation
performed as 'root' (server and client are both started as 'root')?

Probably I made a mistake in my user configuration (on the server), so I
appended the files below:

/etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
httpd:x:1001:1001:webuser:/usr/httpd:/bin/sh

/etc/group
root:x:0:
httpd:x:1001:

Got someone else this message before?