Remote port forwarding (binding to *)

Alex Still alex.ranskis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 04:02:38 WST 2006

On 9/12/06, Matt Johnston <matt at ucc.asn.au> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 07:31:30PM +0200, Alex Still wrote:
> > I'm trying to use remote port forwarding, and have had no success making
> > dropbear listen on all interfaces on the remote host. I've looked at the
>
> > archives, and found the recommendation to use the -a switch, but that
> > doesn't seem to do the trick for me.
> >
> > ive tried these syntax on the client side (openssh)
> > ssh -R 2000::3000 superuser at box
> > ssh -R 2000:*:3000 ...
> > ssh -R 2000:<publicNetworkIP>:3000
> > ssh -R 2000:localhost:3000 ..
>
> The syntax is "ssh -R port:host:hostport user at hostname"
> which will forward "port" listening on "hostname" to
> "host:hostport" via your local ssh-running machine (so
> 'localhost' means the machine you're currently running on,
> and the first two make no sense). What are you trying to
> forward to/from?

I'm trying to do this :

baculaserver-----router1-----<public net>-----router2-----laptop

Baculaserver and laptop are NAT'ed on their respective network. What im
trying to do is SSH from laptop to router1 (running dropbear) and remote
forward a port from there back to the laptop running the bacula client.
That's why I need the remote forwarding to work on all interfaces on
router1.

>From laptop : ssh -R 3000:localhost:2000 alex at router1
On router I see :
netstat :
tcp        0      0 localhost:3000          *:*                     LISTEN

I hope this is more clear and that i haven't missed anything obvious !
Cheers ,

--
Alex