Connection sharing from OpenSSH doesn't work with dropbear

Stephan Walter news at stephan.walter.name
Fri Feb 9 00:06:04 WST 2007

Hi,

I'm using dropbear on my server because it uses few resources (yay!). To
connect to it, I'm using the OpenSSH client. This client has a feature
for sharing the same network connection among several sessions. This is
nice if you log in from several xterms, because the login will be
instantaneous.

I'm talking about the ControlMaster/ControlPath options of ssh (see man
ssh_config)

When I try to use this feature with dropbear, it will deconnect all
sessions when one session is closed.

Is it possible that the connection sharing will be supported by dropbear
 in the future. (Or is is already and I'm doing something wrong?). I
would like to help if I can, but I am not a great C coder.

Am I wrong in thinking this would just involve a simple check whether
the client uses connection sharing, and only dropping the connection
when there are no other sessions left? Or is it more complicated?

Cheers,
Stephan