Why --disable-zlib by hand?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Aug 8 07:19:05 WST 2008

./configure has a --disable-zlib flag, but if I just run ./configure on a
system that doesn't have zlib installed it notices and then dies.

Why does it do this?  Apparently it _can_ run without it.  It noticed it's not
there.  But instead of switching off support for it, the build breaks.
(Without even suggesting "try --disable-zlib", which seems unnecessary since
the point of ./configure is to probe for exactly that sort of thing...?)

I'm confused.

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.