inactivity timeout or disconnect

Ming-Ching Tiew mingching.tiew at redtone.com
Mon Sep 8 17:26:10 WST 2008

Rob Landley wrote:

> Actually what I'd do is make a "timeout" command that works like cat
> except it drops the connection after a certain amount of activity
> (close stdin, close stdout, exit program), then insert it in the
> pipeline.  No real need to modify ssh for this.

I am not too clear about this, perhaps you can enlighten me.

Assuming that my dbclient command is this :-

        dbclient -y -N -T -p 2222 \
         -R 1234:localhost:5678 \
         -l root w.x.y.z >/dev/null 2>&1 &

And the server command is this ( for example ) :-

        dropbear -a -p 2222

So where do I insert the "timeout" program ?

Do you mean this ? :-

     dbclient -y  -p 2222 \
         -R 1234:localhost:5678 \
         -l root w.x.y.z 'timeout'  &

But will the 'timeout' get to intercept the traffic
or activity on forwarding ports ?

Regards