Dropbear turns into zombie process after killing

Jeroen van der Vegt jeroen.van.der.vegt at technolution.eu
Fri Nov 21 00:54:14 WST 2008

Hello,

We're using Dropbear 0.51 to create a tunnel from an embedded ARM device to
a server (running openSSH). We use the precompiled dropbear version from
Debian, and ssh is symlinked to dbclient.
The tunnel is constructed in a script using this command:

	# ssh -i /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key $USER@$REMOTEHOST -L \
		$LOCALPORT:127.0.0.1:$REMOTEPORT -f -N

A tunnel created this way works fine. When the script is done, the tunnel
should be removed. We simply kill all instances of 'ssh' for this.
Unfortunately, this results in a zombie dropbear process on our ARM device.

I guess it might have something to do with using both the -f and the -N
command at the same time, as merely specifying '-f' returns an error that a
command is required.

If using both -f and -N is indeed the cause of this problem, then how do I
create a persistent tunnel while the rest of my script executes?

Regards,

Jeroen van der Vegt
System designer
________________________________

Technolution B.V.
Telephone:         +31(0)182 59 40 00
Fax:              +31(0)182 53 97 36
E-mail:           Jeroen.van.der.Vegt at technolution.eu
Visit us at:      www.technolution.eu
Mailing address:  P.O. Box 2013 - 2800 BD Gouda - The Netherlands
Address:          Zuidelijk Halfrond 1 - 2801 DD Gouda - The Netherlands

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s), and may not be
passed on to, or made available for use by any person other than the
addressee(s). Technolution B.V. rules out any and every liability resulting
from any electronic transmission.