setting up dropbear for local port forwarding

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Mon Dec 15 22:36:47 WST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 08:50:00AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   undoubtedly a trivial question but i want to make sure i have this
> mentally worked out before i get to the office and try it.
>
>   i want to set up a system running dropbear to do local port
> forwarding to a remote host running a regular sshd listening on the
> default port 22.
>
>   as i read it, on my forwarding system (with dropbear 0.52), i need
> to do two things:
>
>   1) invoke dropbear with "-a" (no other changes)
>
>   2) invoke dbclient thusly:
>
>   # dbclient -L 1234:localhost:22 root at remotehost
>
> is that about it?  or have i misread something in the docs?  thanks.

I'm not totally sure what you want to do. If you have

host1     <---->   host2     <------->   host3
runs               runs                  runs
dbclient           dropbear              openssh

then you would run on host1
dbclient -L 1234:host3:22 host2

and "dropbear -a" on host2 (the "forwarding system").

Does that make sense?