how to run dropbear on a system with a R/O /dev?

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at sunsite.dk
Tue Dec 23 00:29:22 WST 2008

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert P J Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> writes:

Hi,

 Robert>   i suspect i already know the answer to this, but is there
 Robert> any way to run dropbear on a system whose /dev directory is
 Robert> part of a larger romfs?

Yes, we do that all the time.

 Robert>   ssh to such a system worked fine during development when
 Robert> the root filesystem was NFS mounted and, therefore, writable.
 Robert> but once that rootfs is flashed and is now mounted as a
 Robert> romfs, not surprisingly, dropbear can no longer accept
 Robert> incoming requests because (i'm guessing) while the
 Robert> appropriate /dev/ttyp[0-9] device files are there, dropbear
 Robert> has no ability to change their owner/perms, is that it?
 Robert> which generates the log error message:

Strange - Is this as root or any other user? We normally only use root,
but I'm pretty sure I have done it before as non-root.

We do have /dev/pts mounted, that may or may not make a difference
(didn't check the code).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard