what means the dropbear dependency on glibc-devel?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Feb 13 06:36:59 WST 2009

On Thursday 12 February 2009 07:12:53 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   (here's hoping this isn't a really dumb question.)
>
>   i want to cross-compile dropbear independently and put it on an
> embedded linux system, so i checked the dropbear install on my fedora
> system for its dependencies:

Red Hat's package manager dependencies and what you need to build a package
from source have a coincidental relationship at best.

>   most of that looks fine -- the embedded system already has libc,
> libcrypt and libz installed.  but what about libutil?  a quick check
> shows that that comes from the glibc-devel package for fedora.

Your C library actually provides several different libraries.  Checking what
uClibc installs, there's libc, libdl, libm, libnsl, libpthread, libresolv,
librt, libutil, and of course ld-uClibc.so.0 (the dynamic linker).

The man pages for the functions should tell you which library each function is
in, and thus when you need to add each -lblah to your build.

>   what exactly is required from glibc-devel's libutil.so -- at least
> on a fedora system -- for dropbear installation?  so i know if i have
> to cross-compile and install a bit more than what's already there.

According to readelf -a libutil-0.9.30.so, it defines the following
interesting-looking functions:

  logwtmp, openpty, login_tty, login, forkpty, and logout.

So yeah, I can see dropbear needing that.

Rob