info required urgently

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat May 23 08:33:43 WST 2009

On Thursday 21 May 2009 13:29:54 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > Subject: info required urgently
>
> you might want to review how open source works.  your urgency generally
> does not require anyone else to drop things and help you.  if you want that
> kind of support, go pay someone.  otherwise, these *free* *volunteers* will
> assist you when they get around to it.
> -mike

Translation: you might get better results offering to sponsor somebody to
_create_ the report you want, or to tutor your engineers in the codebase.
(Heck, the project's maintainer might even be willing to consult for a week
or so if you pay him, including travel and lodging.  Depends how busy he is,
you'd have to ask him.)

This is a volunteer project we do in our spare time, and when volunteering we
tend to focus on the things we find "fun" first, or which are quick and easy
to do.  Creating flowcharts is no fun, and tutoring newbies is time consuming
and often frustrating.

But that doesn't mean you can't _hire_ some of us to do extra work on a tight
schedule; the rules are different then.

Rob