FTP tunneling query

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Oct 9 11:06:18 WST 2009

On Wednesday 07 October 2009 11:29:48 Matt Johnston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dropbear doesn't know anything particular about FTP. I
> suspect that forwarding FTP through dropbear (or any other
> SSH server) won't work very well, given they dynamic
> port allocation. Perhaps OpenSSH client with socks
> forwarding might work?

Actually ftp has a "passive" mode that's often the default these days that
uses the existing connection rather than dialing back the other way (which was
an insane design to begin with and gives masquerading routers hives).  When it
isn't typing "passive" generally enables it.

And there's an sftp program stock in ubuntu, which seems to go through ssh the
way scp does but I dunno much more about it.  (I just use scp.)

Rob