NAS $PATH problem

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Dec 10 10:35:48 WST 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009 17:06:11 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 December 2009 11:00:53 Jean Eckard wrote:
> > Everytime I boot up my NAS, /root/.profile and the "all users"
> > equivalent reset, which mean all my personnal commands and more
> > important the Optware binaries are not accessible unless I type in the
> > full path or add the optware/bin path to $PATH.
> > Is there a way to avoid this odd and annoying behaviour?
>
> i dont see how this is a dropbear issue ?  perhaps you meant to e-mail an
> list specific to your NAS (or the distro it's using)  or a general embedded
> linux list.  dropbear is an ssh package only.
> -mike

Or, if you'd like a useful answer, add a line like:

export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/path/to/more/stuff:$PATH

to the file "/etc/profile".  For more info on this, look at the bash man page
(which is a whole book disguised as a man page, but reading it should teach
you a bunch if you have a spare weekend to do so).

Email me if you have more questions,

Rob