Detect dropped connections

Johan Ribenfors johan at dicam.org.uk
Tue Jul 6 21:30:02 WST 2010

Hi,

We have upwards of 70 embedded pcs running linux, and are trying to use
dropbear to set up ssh tunnels to our server.

This is so we don't have to worry about dynamic ips, router configuration,
mesh networks or any other of the strange setups we've encountered.

The command we are using is:

dbclient -R <remoteport>:localhost:<localport> -I 60 -K 30 -g -T -N -f -i

If I've got the arguments correct, the -I should cause dbclient to exit if
it doesn't recieve any keep alive packets from the server within 60
seconds.

The -K should cause dbclient to send a packet every 30 seconds to prevent
routers etc from closing the connection.

Generally, this seems to work.  However, we occasionally get a situation
where the server has stopped listening on the relevant port, and dbclient
hasn't detected this and exited.

Have I missunderstood the arguments, or missed a setting?

This is Dropbear client v0.52

Thanks in advance.

- Johan