Connection to dropbear server disconnects with Bad Packet Length

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Sun May 15 22:12:34 WST 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:27:51AM -0700, Sam Gandhi wrote:
> > What does a tcpdump or wireshark capture look like? After
> > the first few packets there should be nothing intelligible
> > in the byte stream (it's all encrypted).
> >
> I have attached wireshark capture -- at least -- I cant see anything
> wrong that dropbear server is doing, I am running ssh (OpenSSH_5.8p1
> Debian-1ubuntu3, OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010 ) client.

That stream is full of debug output from the server, it's
not encrypted.

What software is printing the following?

Key info version 1, encode_type 1 data length 568
Read 576 bytes for key rsa uudecoded 568 bytes got 426 bytes
Key info version 1, encode_type 1 data length 612
Read 624 bytes for key dss uudecoded 612 bytes got 457 bytes