can't do local port forwarding / question

Guylhem Aznar dropbear at guylhem.net
Wed Jul 6 17:33:47 WST 2011

Hello

To save memory, I am trying to replace openssh-server by dropbear on a
small VPS (openvz) where I mostly run connectivity tools like
tinyproxy (http proxy).

However I just can't make port forwarding work. To make sure the issue
came from dropbear, I tried with tinyproxy listening on port 3128,
dropbear running on port 220 and openssh-server running on port 222:

"ssh -p 222 -L 1938:localhost:1938" works, ie I can use localhost:3128
on my browser to access the net. I checked with sites showing the ip -
I'm using the VPS IP.

"ssh -p 220 -L 1938:localhost:1938" doesn't works, I can't access the
net with localhost:3128. When I do, and I see errors such as :

channel 9: open failed: connect failed:
channel 7: open failed: connect failed:
channel 8: open failed: connect failed:
channel 9: open failed: connect failed:

I'm running dropbear with :
/usr/sbin/dropbear -d /etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key -r
/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key -p 127.0.0.1:22 -W 65536 -p 220 -a

I though "-a" was everything I needed. I tried to look on google with
the error message and various keywords such as dropbear port
forwarding but couldn't find anything.

I've spend half a day on that, and it still doesn't work, so any help
would be welcome. I think I can't use remote port forwarding because
I'm behind a NAT

At the moment, I believe the option to forward local ports is not
supported - like the export of the local and remote IP in
"$SSH_CONNECTION", something that could be interesting to add for
login shell scripts.

BTW Is this SSH_CONNECTION feature planned?

Thanks
Guylhem