Running dropbear as unprivileged user to a single user SSH Server

Antoine Catton acatton at tiolive.com
Mon Aug 29 17:05:02 WST 2011

Hello,

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 17:29 +0200, Antoine Catton wrote:
> Indeed, I would like to run dropbear as a simple SSH server, which would
> ignore username. This is the idea of the patch I'm currently writing :
>
>  * Adding the option -u (which stand for “user space”) for example. This
> option would be use this way : dropbear -u userdef_file
>  * The “userdef_file” would look like this :
>         SHELL=/bin/bash
>         HOME=/home/sample
>         OTHER_ENV=foobar
>
> Of course, it would also override the home directory where to look
> for .ssh/authorized_keys.

I think the way I wanted to implement it is to complex. Instead of that,
I’m adding an option “-n”. I just looked for a letter which was not used
yet. This option will get the SHELL, HOME, PASSWORD (if you don't want
to use SSH Keys) from environment variable (for example
DROPBEAR_SINGLEUSER_(HOME|PASSWORD|SHELL) ).
This way, it won't be a bloatware feature.

By the way, I had a simple question. For the moment, I downloaded the
latest dropbear tarball [1] and start a git repo with it to develop.
Is there a git/mercurial/whatever repo for Dropbear ? (The only repo I
saw was the historical CVS one).

Thank you.

Regards,

[1] <http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/releases/dropbear-0.53.1.tar.bz2>