delay question

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Wed Sep 7 19:08:15 WST 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 01:43:28PM -0400, Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> There is no nfs.

Yes - in my experience well set up NFS isn't slow, though
you have to have very particular versions of Linux for it to
all work properly. That said, NFS certainly has nothing to
do with this.

> Dropbear is executed from within the chroot, to avoid any problem. I
> just don't understand why this close takes so much time.

It isn't the close() taking time, it's the stuff happening
before the close. strace -T would show you time time for the
close() itself.

[pid 12140]      0.001625 fork(Process 12171 attached
)        = 12171

Process 12140 isn't very interesting, that's just the
Dropbear listener. I think you want to see what process
12171 is doing. That would end up in a separate log file due
to the -ff, do you still have that?

The output of "ssh -vvv" to the host might be useful too. I
still reckon it'll be big number crypto maths that's using
CPU time - modems are slow and Dropbear isn't amazingly CPU
efficient.