dropbear client : No auth methods could be used (again !)

Stuart Longland redhatter at gentoo.org
Thu Oct 13 11:33:40 WST 2011

On 10/13/11 04:53, sl Bay wrote:
> The issue is solved !
>
> Dropbear didn't accept to open a SSH access because the pubkey saved in
> authorized_keys in right format !
>
> My mistake is that until now, I used an old version of putty (<0.61) and
> the public keys created by PUTYYgen haven't a format identical with
> those generated by dropbear:

Yes, PuTTY uses some funny format for its keys, which OpenSSH does not
understand, and since dropbear is aiming to be a small-footprint
alternative to OpenSSH, nor does dropbear.

There is a function in PuTTYgen that allows you to convert it to an
OpenSSH-compatible format, it'll be one of the fields you see when you
open a key in PuTTYgen in fact, you just copy it to your clipboard
before typing:

$ cat >> .ssh/authorized_keys
{right click to paste clipboard}
^D
$
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)      .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
   ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.