dropbrear not compiling statically

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Oct 18 01:45:20 WST 2011

On 10/16/2011 08:50 AM, Tilman Glotzner wrote:
> Hello
>

> I am trying to compile dropbrear statically:

I'm using the attached patch with the following build sequence to build
the statically linked dropbearmulti instances at
http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/binaries/extras against uClibc.

cp -sfR /mnt/dropbear dropbear &&
cd dropbear &&
CFLAGS="-I ../zlib -Os" LDFLAGS="--static -L ../zlib" ./configure &&
sed -i 's@/usr/bin/dbclient at ssh@' options.h &&
make -j $CPUS PROGRAMS="dropbear dbclient dropbearkey dropbearconvert
scp" MULTI=1 SCPPROGRESS=1 &&
strip dropbearmulti &&
upload_result dropbearmulti &&
cd .. &&
rm -rf dropbear || exit 1

> Warning: Permanently added '192.168.1.40' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
> root at 192.168.1.40's <mailto:root at 192.168.1.40's> password:
> Permission denied, please try again.
>
> Apparantly, dropbear does not know user root -- I wonder why however
> (root is defined in /etc/passwd) :

If the root user has no password, dropbear discards it even if you plan
to use public/private key to get in.  (There's a separate test in
password authentication disallowing empty passwords, this is a test in
user verification that discards the user as _invalid_.  It also does so
if their /home directory didn't exist, and a few other things.  Run it
with -F -E and see what it says when you try to log in.)

The second patch is how I worked around that.  (And yes,  I poked the
list about both issues already...)

Rob