Login attempt for nonexistent user

Warlich, Christof christof.warlich at siemens.com
Wed Feb 8 15:59:57 WST 2012

Hi,

I just try to set up dropbear on a minimal Linux system that I have built myself from scratch.
I compiled dropbear with glibc shared libs, and my target system is equipped with corresponding
/lib/libnss* libraries, the default /etc/nsswitch.conf and appropriate /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and
/etc/group files.

Dropbear starts up fine with dropbear -E. But when I try to log in, dropbear complains:

Login attempt for nonexistent user from 192.168.211.1:3186

A local login on the system with the same user works fine.

Can anyone give me a hint on what may still be wrong?

Cheers,

Chris

P.S.: In some Android-Forum, I found that they started dropbear with:

dropbear -A -N root -U 0 -G 0 -C rootpassword

but neither of these switches are known by the current version of dropbear.