-lcrypt as dependency in Makefile? (CRYPTLIB)

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Wed Jun 19 04:20:52 WST 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 22:11 +0200, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the configure script sets up CRYPTLIB="-lcrypt".
>
> Then, Makefile.in has something like:
> dropbearobjs=$(COMMONOBJS) $(CLISVROBJS) $(SVROBJS) @CRYPTLIB@
> dropbear: $(dropbearobjs)
>
> How is this expected to work? I can't build dropbear due to GNU make not
> finding the dependency "-lcrypt".

GNU make supports this syntax.  See:

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Libraries_002fSearch.html

If you're getting an error the make cannot find your crypt library in
the normal locations, with the standard naming conventions.

One issue is that GNU make hasn't kept up with all the advancements
related to multiarch environments so if your system uses /lib64 etc. you
may need to set up a VPATH search to find the system libraries.