Getting dbclient to time out when network goes down with reverse proxy usage

Jesse Molina jesse at opendreams.net
Fri Jul 4 18:57:09 WST 2014

Hello

I am doing this:

ssh -K 3 -I 60 -i keyfile -N -R 2222:localhost:22 user at host

I am intending a dropbear ssh client to set up a reverse proxy
connection to a server, so I am using -N and -R.

I am also using -K and -I so that the connection sends keepalives and
will timeout if the network is disrupted.

My problem is that the above results in the session dying 60 seconds
after setup is finished because the idle timeout is being hit.  I am not
sure how -I is metering inbound traffic, but it's apparently not picking
up anything.

Note that I have "ClientAliveInterval 15" set on the sshd_config server
side. I would expect dropbear to count this traffic towards -I.

Without -I above, it took my device 18 minutes to figure out that I had
pulled the network out from under it by shutting down the interface.
That isn't acceptable.

Can dropbear do this, or do I need to use openssh?  I get the feeling
after reading what I have read that dropbear is too simple to figure out
when the server has gone away in most situations.

Relevant:

https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00978.html

https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00648.html

https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00402.html