Server refused to start a shell/command (Buildroot - RPi)

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Thu Jan 15 00:21:01 AWST 2015

 > Well, I think that is my problem. /dev/pts did not exist.

Doesn't your /etc/inittab contain a line like this?

git grep /dev/pts system/skeleton/etc/inittab
system/skeleton/etc/inittab:null::sysinit:/bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts

Are you using mainline 2013.02 or have you made any modifications to
Buildroot? Can you put your Buildroot .config online somewhere?

 > I didn't start from a default buildroot system, but one that was
 > already cutdown for NOOBS, and probably one that did not need any
 > PTYs.

 > So I guess my next question is which options in buildroot do I need to
 > enable in order to support PTYs?

PTYs are a kernel feature, so it doesn't directly have anything to do
with Buildroot. I believe the kernel config option you need is
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS.

 > Is it sufficient to do 'mknod -m 0666 /dev/ptmx c 5 2' ?

No, not if the kernel doesn't have pty support. By default, Buildroot
uses devtmpfs to manage /dev, so the needed device nodes are
automatically created (if the kernel is built with support for them).

--
Peter Korsgaard