dropbearconvert crashes converting 8192-bit RSA OpenSSH host key to dropbear format

Stephen Kent smkent at smkent.net
Mon Feb 9 13:08:17 AWST 2015

dropbearconvert seems to crash on large RSA key sizes (the host key
I'm trying to convert is 8192 bits):

$ openssl rsa -text -noout -in /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key 2>/dev/null | head -n 1
Private-Key: (8196 bit)
$ dropbearconvert openssh dropbear "/etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key"
"./dropbear_rsa_host_key"
Exited: Bad buf_getwriteptr

dropbearconvert works fine on OpenSSH's default 2048-bit RSA host key.

Is this a bug? If so, is this the proper place to report it or is
there another procedure I should follow?

(Please CC me on replies as I am not on this list.)

Thanks,

Stephen