Unexpected behavior of dbutil.c's expand_tilde functionality

Guilhem Moulin guilhem at fripost.org
Fri Jul 31 23:07:23 AWST 2015

Hi list,

Helmut Grohne reported the following [0]:

> I note that the new tilde expansion functionality in the upstream
> release is a bit strange. If my own home is "/home/helmut", it will
> expand "~/foo" to "/home/helmut//foo" (note the double slash).  Worse,
> it will expand expand "~otheruser/foo" to
> "/home/helmut/otheruser/foo", which does not match the general
> expectation of tilde expansion.

Not sure if that was intended or if that's a bug.  In the former case,
it might be helpful to explicitly write that ‘~foo’'s expansion isn't
that of a POSIX compliant shell [1], i.e., doesn't expand to user foo's
homedir as one could expect [2].

Guilhem.

[0] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=790125#27
[1] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_06_01