Prepending 'exec' to proxy command automatically

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Wed Dec 9 01:58:12 AWST 2015

If dbclient is given proxy command which does not start with exec, shell process is lingering alongside proxy command process. However, I've found that OpenSSH client (ProxyCommand option) prepends exec automatically.

I think it would be convenient if dbclient added exec by default, but this will break if someone is already using explicit exec in -J argument. Note that OpenSSH client also breaks with exec.

So options are:

1. Just prepend exec to all proxy commands and make too clever people fix their scripts.
2. Check if proxy command starts with exec, if not, prepend it.
3. Add separate -o ProxyCommand option prepending exec (it also should substitute %h, %p, and %r to be compatible with OpenSSH). Leave -J as is for compatibility but mark it as deprecated.

What is the best way?

--
Regards,
Konstantin