New Dropbear and existing key files fails

Cody Scott cody at perspexis.com
Thu Apr 5 00:00:29 AWST 2018

Hi!

I can't SSH onto a server after updating dropbear from 2017.75 to 2018.76
with the existing key files.

If I re-create the key files then it works.

I think this might already be fixed from the patch in a previous thread but
one thing that is curious is in syslog I see dropbear is looking for the
key files in /etc/dropbear/.

Couldn't create new file
/etc/dropbear/dropbear_ecdsa_host_key.tmp1180: No such file or
directory
Exit before auth: Couldn't read or generate hostkey
/etc/dropbear/dropbear_ecdsa_host_key

I am specifying the full path to the three keys with -r. The changelog
seems to imply that dropbear will only use the paths specified with -r.
Here is all of the flags used to launch dropbear.

/boot/tp/bin/dropbear -w -g -k -r
/boot/dd/droppbear/dropbear_dss_host_key -r
/boot/dd/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key -r
/boot/dd/dropbear/dropbear_ecdsa_host_key -R