[lore] From the bowels of internet comes a selection of ...

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 16 22:32:33 WST 2006

TRS-80's List of Entertaining Sites

The Tech Report http://www.techreport.com/

While there are many, many hardware review sites out there, the Tech Report is
my favorite. Unlike other such sites, it has a clean layout with only a few ads.
Technically, they give you full details of their test systems, and provide
informed comment about the results, rather than just pages and pages of
meaningless graphs. They're also quite open about where their hardware came from
and don't accept money or favours from vendors in exchange for better benchmarks.

Irregular Webcomic http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/

This comic is composed of pictures of Lego, but don't let that put you off.
With more than 10 different ongoing stories which sometimes cross over, there's
something for everyone. It does have a distinct geekish bent, and a
prediliction for bad puns.

Cat and Girl http://catandgirl.com/

An anthropomorphic cat who drinks paint and a girl who's a fan of post-modernism
are the eponymous stars of this comic. The topics covered vary between 80s
fashion, the nature of reality, popular culture and Calvin and Hobbes. A must
for anyone wanting to up their hipster cred.

Applepeels http://viewfromthemountain.typepad.com/applepeels/

Written by the former Director of Federal Sales for Apple, this blog exposes the
inner workings of Apple. He documents how he succeeded in increasing his sales
60% one year despite Steve Jobs not believing in salespeople or the enterprise
market. To reach the top level of management, one must subscribe to the cult of
Jobs, which allows one to do no wrong, even to the point of one cult-member VP
recommending Dell's laptops over Apple's in a conference call.  In fact, a lot
of the innovation in Apple is produced in spite of the cult which tries to clamp
down on anything Jobs didn't think of first or doesn't like.

Damn Interesting http://www.damninteresting.com/

>From well-known events like Chernobyl to less well-known places like Fordlandia,
this site covers several topics per week, and never fails to make them appear
damn interesting. It covers both hard science and unsolved mysteries, and while
at its worst it's merely a rephrasing of a wikipedia entry, at its best you'll
be fascinated about something you've never heard of before.

Stevey's Blog Rants http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/

Subtitled "Random whining and stuff", this is a blog by a former Amazon and
current Google employee. Most of the entries are about programming and software
development. One of his best entries is about why Java sucks because its verbs
(procedures) are subserviant to its nouns (objects), which is the exact opposite
of how a programming language should be. He also covers why you should learn
LISP, but also why you shouldn't write serious programs with it.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |