dropbear ssh client and public key auth?

Justin Patrin papercrane at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 02:48:22 WST 2004

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:21:07 +0800, Matt Johnston <matt at ucc.asn.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 12:34:58AM -0500, jnewell at wgate.com wrote:
> > Does this mean, dropbear is unable to provide passwordless ssh between the
> > dropbear client, and an openssh server?
> >
> > Jim
>
> No, you can use a Dropbear client with an OpenSSH server.
> The public-key portion (what dropbearkey -y gives you, and
> dropbearkey prints on key generation, which you put in
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys) is common between Dropbear and
> OpenSSH.

Well, I tried generating both an rsa and dss key and putting them in
~/.ssh/id_rsa and ~/.ssh/id_dss and neither seemed to work. I tried
the public portion in both ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and authorized_keys2
on the remote server.

I ended up just switching to openssh and it definately works. BTW, I
was doing all this on a Sharp Zaurus running OZ 3.5.1.

--
Justin Patrin