Problems connecting to Dropbear on uClinux

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Wed Dec 29 13:15:58 WST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 05:14:10PM -0800, Sriram Chadalavada wrote:
> I have cross-compiled dropbear as a MULTI and STATIC
> program and use a symbolic link dropbear. The DSS host
> key has been put into /etc/dropbear(appropriate
> location) of the uCdimm filesystem.
> The application has been compiled to execute under
> inetd control.
>
> My problem is that when I try connecting to the board
> using ssh, I get the message:
>
> [root at dhcp001 uClinux-dist]# ssh root at 129.237.125.90
> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by
> remote host

Does your system have syslog available? If so, could you
have a look at the logs and see what error message Dropbear
is giving?

If syslog isn't available, the best bet is probably to
compile Dropbear to try and run standalone (not from inetd),
and run it with '-F -E' flags so that logging information is
written to your terminal. (I'm not entirely sure if this
will work with uClibc - you might want to remove the
"fork()" from svr-main.c).

If the logging information doesn't give any hints, you can
enable DEBUG_TRACE in debug.h, which will spit out very
verbose debugging information. (Note that this will probably
cause problems if you run from inetd).

Let me know how it goes.