bad buf_getbyte

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Sun Jan 16 06:34:48 WST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 12:53:05PM -0800, David Horwitt wrote:
> I'm getting "bad buf_getbyte" errors (and session closing) when connecting
> from Solaris SSH to dropbearmulti
> 0.44 running on Linux 2.6.8.1. At least one other person is having problems
> as well (http://www.dbforums.com/t1086039.html; this has some trace info as
> well).
>
> Setup works OK with FreeBSD, Linux test systems. Any ideas on
> fixes/workarounds?

Don't know. Did you see my patch that just increased the kex buffer?
http://lists.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/pipermail/dropbear/2005q1/000152.html

The symptom of my problem was that the host key was too large (2048 bit)
to fit in the buffer. Probably your's and Dragan's are similar in that a
buffer that dropbear is using is too small for whatever is being sent to
it.

I have access to solaris boxen. If you give me a better idea of what
ssh, what version of solaris and if there is any thing exotic about your
config I could try to recreate it and maybe improve the trace of the
problem.

Erik Hovland
mail: erik at hovland.org
web: http://hovland.org/