login attempt for nonexistent user

cynthia segura csegura @.at.@ hpti.com
Sat Jul 23 05:55:45 WST 2005

Has anyone responded to this posting? I seem to be having the same
problem. I am running dropbear-0.45 on a small, embedded system.
2.6.8-7.10 kernel, busybox-1.0

I am starting dropbear from the command line with the following options:
./dropbear -E -F -r

When I try to connect to the minimal box, I am prompted for a password.
When I enter the password, I receive a:
"Permission denied, please try again:"

I have verified the password and even changed it on the system using the
busybox passwd command. Here is what my /etc/passwd file looks like on
the embedded system:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/ash

Here is /etc/group:

root:x:0:

The shadow file is there:

(Note, /bin/ash exists):
/sbin # ls /bin/ash
/bin/ash

Permissions are as follows:
600 passwd
400 shadow
664 group
On the server side, dropbear indicates:
 [956] Jul 22 14:31:31 Child connection from 192.168.1.1:33147
[956] Jul 22 14:31:31 login attempt for nonexistent user from
192.168.1.1:33147
[956] Jul 22 14:31:52 login attempt for nonexistent user from
192.168.1.1:33147

I have also tried adding a user to the minimal system (to be sure that
the account is there, and trying ssh, no luck).

I'm sort of stumped at this point. If anyone had any suggestions, I'd
greatly appreciate it.