PidFile switch

Swen Schillig swen at vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 12 20:20:16 WST 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 00:02:39 +0800
Matt Johnston <matt at ucc.asn.au> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 10:25:27AM +0200, Swen Schillig wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I want to use the dropbear package in a project
> > but I'm missing a functionality which allows me to
> > provide the pidfile name on the cmd-line.
> >
> > I've created a diff which would provide this functionality
> > and I'd like to get some feedback on this patch.
> > Especially if it's going to be part of the next code-drop.
>
> > Anywy, here it is and let me know what you think !
>
> The patch itself looks fine from a quick look over, though
> I'm curious of your need to specify a filename at runtime.
> I've generally been reluctant to add options that work fine
> as compile-time settings, though if there's a good reason for
> setting it at runtime, I'll add it.
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

We're using dropbear in an environment where we can start a couple of server instances
(on different ports) each providing individual user-interfaces on client connection.
If I do that with the current version the one and only pidfile gets replaced by the last server started, meaning I'm losing a way to track which server is running under which PID.

The easiest way for me was to have a pidfile which has the port-number included in the name and therefor have a direct connection between port# and PID. E.g.: /tmp/dropbear.2222

I really hope this make sense to you, if not let me know.