dropbear authentication

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Wed Aug 8 15:29:11 WST 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 08:25:00AM +0200, Giuseppe Cavallaro wrote:
> Hi All,
> ho can I login as root user with an empty password?
> Do I need to hack the code or I have to configure dropbear in "special" way?

It already should work.

As a test, I set up the root user on an Ubuntu 7.04 system
to have an entry in /etc/shadow of
root:R7gIX4dJJcCFw:13612:0:99999:7:::
and it worked fine. "R7gIX4dJJcCFw" is just the crypt of an
empty password - the Linux password utility wouldn't let me
set it manually.

You still have to press enter in your client to log in -
Dropbear 0.50's dbclient will provide the ability to set
DROPBEAR_PASSWORD="" and avoid that.

I assume you're running this on a closed network or
something -- otherwise it'd be a tad insecure.

Matt