Dropbear server 0.50 stops listening to socket when started without stdin

Laurent Pinchart laurentp at cse-semaphore.com
Wed Sep 19 21:18:47 WST 2007

Hi,

The 2007-07-19 commit ("Patch from Nicolai Ehemann to try binding before going
to the background, so that if it exits early (because something's already
listening etc) then it will return an exitcode of 1.") breaks Dropbear when
started from init (busybox 1.6.1) with no console.

When no console is configured, init starts dropbear with stdin (fd 0) closed.
The socket opened by listensockets() will then be assigned fd 0. The later
call to daemon() will reassign fd 0, 1 and 2 to /dev/null, making dropbreak
stop listening to the network.

I reverted the patch as temporary workaround. I'm not sure what a proper
solution would be.

Please CC me when answering this e-mail.

Best regards,

--
Laurent Pinchart
CSE Semaphore Belgium