Dropbear key problem

Guillaume Dargaud dargaud at lpsc.in2p3.fr
Tue Apr 29 21:54:37 WST 2008

Hello all,

I have dropbear installed on a target embedded system. It replaces both ssh
and sshd.

I can put the public key of my host onto my target authorized_keys and then
I can login without password as expected from the host to the target. Great.

The reverse doesn't work.
I tried this from the host:
user at host $ ssh -x root at target "dropbearkey -y -t dss -f
/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key | tail -2 | head -1"
 >>~/.ssh/authorized_keys

I understand the private keys of dropbear are
/etc/dropbear/dropbear_*_host_key and need to be converted before they can
be used by OpenSSH.

root at target # ssh user at host
will ignore the key and ask for a password.

Unfortunately there's no option '-v' in the ssh client of dropbear that
could tell me why it still insists on asking for my password...
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/