hash mismatch problem on ARM system

Aras Vaichas arasv at magtech.com.au
Mon Jul 21 10:05:41 WST 2008

Hi,

I'm getting "hash mismatch" problems in my embedded ARM system when
using gcc-4.2.3-glibc-2.7 and Scratchbox to compile the code. I also
get  "differ in signedness" warnings during compilation.

If I try to ssh to the remote server:

$ ssh root at 169.254.0.252
hash mismatch
key_verify failed for server_host_key

If I try to ssh on the remote server:

/root # ssh root at localhost
ssh: connection to root at localhost:22 exited: Bad hostkey signature

This sounds very similar to the problem outlined in this older posting:

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00083.html

The solution to this version of the problem was:

"The avr32-linux-gcc compiler had a wrong implementation of the ror and
rol functions. And the uClibc library had a bug in memcmp function."

I'm using arm-linux-gcc, could it have the same problem?

I tested against Dropbear 0.46 and Dropbear 0.51 and the results are the
same, the problem is with my compiler/build environment.

My old (working) version of Dropbear was built with
gcc-3.4.4-glibc-2.3.5 and was compiled in a cross-compilation style.

My new (broken) version of Dropbear was built with gcc-4.2.3-glibc-2.7
and uses the Scratchbox environment.

Can someone give me some pointers as to the root source of the problem?

As another test, I'm going to build and test OpenSSH to confirm if this
problem is Dropbear build specific or is a real problem with my build
environment.

Aras