setting up dropbear for local port forwarding

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Dec 15 22:47:15 WST 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Matt Johnston wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 08:50:00AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   undoubtedly a trivial question but i want to make sure i have this
> > mentally worked out before i get to the office and try it.
> >
> >   i want to set up a system running dropbear to do local port
> > forwarding to a remote host running a regular sshd listening on the
> > default port 22.
> >
> >   as i read it, on my forwarding system (with dropbear 0.52), i need
> > to do two things:
> >
> >   1) invoke dropbear with "-a" (no other changes)
> >
> >   2) invoke dbclient thusly:
> >
> >   # dbclient -L 1234:localhost:22 root at remotehost
> >
> > is that about it?  or have i misread something in the docs?  thanks.
>
> I'm not totally sure what you want to do. If you have
>
> host1     <---->   host2     <------->   host3
> runs               runs                  runs
> dbclient           dropbear              openssh
>
> then you would run on host1
> dbclient -L 1234:host3:22 host2
>
> and "dropbear -a" on host2 (the "forwarding system").
>
> Does that make sense?

   hmmmmmm ... that's not the way i understood it from my reading, but
i probably misread.  what i'm after:

  host1     <----->     host2    <----->     host3

* i'm on host1 from where i will log in to some remote host, so i will
obviously need dbclient on host1

* both host2 and host3 will have some flavour of ssh server -- host2
will *definitely* have dropbear and host3 will have either dropbear or
regular openssh

* from host1, i want to be able to ssh and log into host2 normally.

* from host1, i want to be able to (somehow) log into host2 and have
it port forward my login to host3.

  i can see, then, how i need to be running "dropbear -a" on host2, to
allow the port forwarding to host3.  so i'll give the above a shot.
thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.