porting Dropbear to the Wii

Jonathan Glines auntieneo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 05:47:49 WST 2009

Hello everyone. I'm a freshmen in college and need to write something
security-related for a class. After discovering how easy it is to
write homebrew for the Nintendo Wii, I set my sights on writing
something for that platform. Since SSH pretty much rules my life, I
decided to look for relatively simple SSH client I might be able to
port, which brought me to Dropbear.

Now, I know the Wii isn't exactly POSIX compliant; I don't think
there's much of an operating system to speak of. Any port of Dropbear
will probably end up being more of a fork then a port. However, there
is an FTP server and a few other networked apps written for the Wii,
so I'm sure an SSH client is possible. But is a Dropbear port
feasible?

I'm worried about the POSIX libraries that I won't be able to use,
such as network, time, threads, and entropy. Plus, I'm not well versed
in this stuff to begin with. But this is stuff I would really like to
learn, especially the networking. What parts of the code do you think
I will have to rewrite?

Anyway, I just started this yesterday, and I'm not sure if I can do
it. Any tips, criticism, or words of encouragement would be greatly
appreciated. I'm prepared for blood and sweat if I'm going to get this
to work. ;)

Regards,
Jonathan