SMALL dropbear server binary

Sourav Chakraborty sourav.chakraborty at rebaca.com
Thu May 14 20:19:59 WST 2009

Hello List,
We are basically requiring a small footprint dropbear server binary for x86 linux and have hence followed the steps--
1. have downloaded dropbear-0.52 source code in tar.gz format.
2. ./configure --disable-zlib --disable-syslog
3. modified the Makefile to append--
-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DLTC_NO_BSWAP with CFLAGS and
-Wl,--gc-sections with LDFLAGS4.modified options.h file --(attached)5. make STATIC=1 MULTI=1 PROGRAMS=dropbear
6. strip dropbear

We have done the above on x86 machine having FC3 linux with gcc 3.4.2 20041017.

The dropbear binary generated after the "strip" is of size 549120 bytes i.e ~549kB.But from the msg archive I could see that --
"A small memory footprint suitable for
> memory-constrained environments - Dropbear can compile
> to a 110kB statically linked binary with uClibc (and
> only minimal options selected)."
Of course I am not using uClibc,but is that the reason for such a difference in the footprint?What else can I do to decreasethe footprint to a size of 110kB as mentioned?Please reply asap as this is kind of urgent :-)Thanks and RegardsSourav