scp in dropbearmulti?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Oct 1 17:26:44 WST 2009

On Thursday 01 October 2009 01:11:13 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 01 October 2009 01:37:52 Matt Johnston wrote:
> > make -j 2 MULTI=1 PROGRAMS="dropbear dbclient dropbearkey dropbearconvert
> >  scp"
> >
> > and it should work. I'll make the docs a bit clearer.
>
> how would you feel about a dbscp alias ?  requiring the name to be "scp" is
> a bit annoying as it can easily conflict with parallel installs of openssh.

Ok, now I'm curious.  If this is really a problem, why didn't you need to
similarly prefix every busybox command so you can call bbls and bbcp and
install them in parallel to the gnu versions?

Or wouldn't it make more sense to do what busybox has been doing for the past
decade and use "./dropbearmulti scp"?  (Or two different directories full of
names, with your $PATH selecting which ones to use?)

Personally I dunno why it doesn't just call the server functionality sshd and
have dropbear _be_ the multiplexer, but oh well.  It's not like openssh was
the first ssh either, they forked off an existing one that closed up...

Rob