scp in dropbearmulti?

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Fri Oct 2 21:07:40 WST 2009

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 02:11:13AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 01 October 2009 01:37:52 Matt Johnston wrote:
> > make -j 2 MULTI=1 PROGRAMS="dropbear dbclient dropbearkey dropbearconvert
> >  scp"
> >
> > and it should work. I'll make the docs a bit clearer.
>
> how would you feel about a dbscp alias ?  requiring the name to be "scp" is a
> bit annoying as it can easily conflict with parallel installs of openssh.
> -mike

While I'm considering build-related issues - would anyone
have a problem if I converted all the #ifdefs related to
options.h into #if statements, to make it easier to override
options on the commandline? Rather than

#define ENABLE_CLI_PROXYCMD

it'd become

#ifndef ENABLE_CLI_PROXYCMD
#define ENABLE_CLI_PROXYCMD 1
#end

etc.

Back to the original topic...

I think a dbscp alias is a good idea. The problem with scp
is that running as a server (probably Dropbear's
more common use-case) the scp binary _must_ be called "scp",
since that's how the remote client runs it. "dbscp" as a
client works fine - dbclient now actually has some
orthogonal functionality to OpenSSH client (multihop has
made me use it a lot more), so a different alias might be
useful. I'll keep "scp" as the default program name though
- that Makefile is nasty enough as-is :-\

I don't think there's much reason for "dropbear" as "sshd",
since it's usually just used in an init.d or inetd file, and
it is configured differently (via the command line). Most
mail/dns/web server programs have unique names.

I'll add the "dropbearmulti scp" functionality too - I
actually thought it was there already :)

Regarding the "dropbear" vs "db" prefix, I initially had
"dropbearclient" but it was too annoying to type. Perhaps I
should add "dsh" too ;)

Thanks for the suggestions.